Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 180 EUR, Received: 0 EUR (0%)
By donating, you not only support the continued existence of this site, you also improve this site in various ways, by making it affordable for ForumBiodiversity to upgrade the server with better hardware and licensed non-free proprietary software, but also motivating the staff to work harder. ABF will always be free of charge (gratis) to use. However, if everyone donates a small monthly amount, it makes a tremendous difference for the forum's overall quality in the long haul.

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 184 of 184 FirstFirst ... 84 134 174 182 183 184
Results 1,831 to 1,839 of 1839

Thread: Puerto Rico2834 days old

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:52
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1b2a
    mtDNA
    L3e1e
    Metaethnos
    Nuevo Mundo
    Ethnicity
    Isleño D Puertorican
    Politics
    Liberal central left
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Puerto Rico Spain United States Outlying Islands Amazigh Palestine Hispanidad

http://www.eldiario.es/canariasahora...666683505.html

According to this article from a Spanish newspaper, about 40% of Puerto Ricans who have European ancestry descend from Canarians.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1a2*
    mtDNA
    C1b4
    Race
    Triracial
    Ethnicity
    Puerto Rican (Latino)
    Phenotype
    Atl Med/MENA/Amerind
    Politics
    Democrat
    Religion
    None
    Puerto Rico United States

Another study, this time looking at both YDNA and mtDNA of Puerto Rican's from Vieques and South East portions of PR. Their findings also point out the significant contribution made from Non Iberian's or Iberian's of mixed ancestry (Iberian/MENA) that colonized the island and their impact on our genetic ancestry. Heres an excerpt of the YDNA research findings:

Genetic diversity in Puerto Rico and its implications for the peopling of the Island and the West Indies

As noted, the vast majority of male lineages are West Eurasian in origin. However, the Puerto Rican male gene pool is not an exact replica of that of Spain, the main colonial power on the island. While nearly 100% of Puerto Rican surnames are Spanish in origin, many have Muslim and even Sephardic Jewish family histories, as opposed to Castilian ones (Boyd-Bowman, 1956). Likewise, the high frequency of haplogroups E1b1b, G2a, I2, and J2 in Puerto Rican men suggests paternal ancestry from Spain, North Africa, the Mediterranean and even the Middle East. Interestingly, certain individual Y-STR haplotypes from Puerto Ricans were close matches to those from various locations including Spain, Sardinia, Algeria, and Morocco (Cruciani et al., 2007). These observations suggest that the diversity of Puerto Rico Y-chromosome haplotypes reflects the broad geographic ancestry of the men who sailed on Spanish ships and settled on the island.

The haplotype diversity revealed in the E1b1b Y-STR network (Fig. 6) also supports the interpretation that male immigrants to the Caribbean had diverse ancestries, and likely arrived from different places in western and southern Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East over the course of the last 400 years. This distribution is consistent with colonial documents, which indicate that many of the ships embarking to the Caribbean often picked up men from the Canary Islands, the Azores and Madeira to serve on the vessels, and ultimately disperse throughout the colonies (Fernández-Armesto, 1982). Today, Puerto Rico, as well as other former Spanish colonies in the Caribbean and continental Americas, has strong historical ties to North Africa, and men from these regions apparently carried haplotypes common to those regions to the New World.
    Last edited by acevedoricky; 2017-07-24 at 15:50.
    Mediterranean 29.00%
    North European 27.23%
    North Amerindian + Arctic 15.74%
    West African 9.37%
    Southwest Asian 9.77%
    Caucasus 7.10%
    Siberian 1.79%

Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:18

Quote Originally Posted by dbbrainer View Post
    It is of islander balearic origin. But the irish surnames in Puerto Rico are not rare at all after they came to the island in the 19th century. Although their numbers were not as big as Corsicans, they qualified under the terms of the Royal Decree of Graces (All you had to do was be a catholic and have a family). O'neill is pretty common in Puerto RIco and it has absolutely nothing at all to do with any halfies or american influence in Puerto Rico, since it predates it. Of course she is an islander, her accent is evident in the trailer and she studied at the UPR.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that is the case with the Osbourne surname in Spain, as well as some others. However, Purcell has been in the mediterranean for such a long time, that people do not even know where it originated in antiquity. All we can say is that her family origins are in the balearic islands.
    Well considering Purcell has been in the Mediterranean across different nations we can safely assume that such a family could have easily dispersed across the Mediterranean world from their origin in France, another Med country. Names are repeated across Europe with equal meanings but usually the ethnic variations involve various spellings. Like there are people named Burgos in one country where in another they would be Burke.

I mean after all not every Rican has to have Iberian ancestry considering the North African, Corsican, and of course the common Canarian. And btw aren't there a lot of French descended people on the island?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Genuine Interest For This Useful Post:

dbbrainer (2017-07-25)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1b2a
    mtDNA
    L3e1e
    Metaethnos
    Nuevo Mundo
    Ethnicity
    Isleño D Puertorican
    Politics
    Liberal central left
    Religion
    Agnostic

Quote Originally Posted by Genuine Interest View Post
    Well considering Purcell has been in the Mediterranean across different nations we can safely assume that such a family could have easily dispersed across the Mediterranean world from their origin in France, another Med country. Names are repeated across Europe with equal meanings but usually the ethnic variations involve various spellings. Like there are people named Burgos in one country where in another they would be Burke.

I mean after all not every Rican has to have Iberian ancestry considering the North African, Corsican, and of course the common Canarian. And btw aren't there a lot of French descended people on the island?
    - That is true.

- At the bolded part: Those were both French and Corsican. They were up to 16% of the population in the 19th century. The most common surnames that I could remember are Beauchamp, Quillichini, Farinacci, Seguinot (this one was first registered in 1865 and apparently came from a family that was originally from the western central coast of France), Carbonell (could also be catalan), Aubon, Cotte (a friend of mine is Muñiz Cotte), Guillot, Lefevbre (I know some in Aibonito/Barranquitas and they are lighter than the common caucaoid looking Rican), Betancourt, Godreau (this latter two I have always related to Afro Ricans of a high cultural status; mulattoes and cuarterones, but they are seen in white families, the famous UPR Law professor and professor of mine, Michel Godreau Robles and his daughter Isar Godreau-which our afro centric nuyorican poster referenced in a copy paste of his- whose writing centers on a very valid claim for recognition of the Afro influence within the general Puerto Rican culture). Other surnames I have come across are: Gautier, Carbonnier, Bidot and Blondet. All of this people inter-married, while not all incurred in racial mixing. The Quillichinis, some of which I know, do not have even one family member who does not look European:

This family lives in Caguas, where I have lived since my adolescence, and are typical middle class from Caguas. Not really what happens in many latin american countries where this type seem to be privileged people. This family struggles the same as the rest of the middle class.

Molecular Biologist
    Last Online

The Quillichinis, some of which I know, do not have even one family member who does not look European:

The guy all the way on the right can pass in many Arab countries actually. And not as atypical. He can pass as far East as South Asia even (I have seen Pakistanis who have a similar look).

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1b2a
    mtDNA
    L3e1e
    Metaethnos
    Nuevo Mundo
    Ethnicity
    Isleño D Puertorican
    Politics
    Liberal central left
    Religion
    Agnostic

I really don't see the overlap with people from Pakistan, but hey, perception is influenced by a lot of unknown elements. Maybe some random Iranian, but I have yet to come across a Pakistani who looks like that and there are tons of them in Barcelona. Could be possible though. I would place him properly in the mediterranean though, including the westernmost middle east. In the Greek isles his type was common.

Molecular Biologist
    Last Online

I really don't see the overlap with people from Pakistan, but hey, perception is influenced by a lot of unknown elements. Maybe some random Iranian, but I have yet to come across a Pakistani who looks like that and there are tons of them in Barcelona. Could be possible though. I would place him properly in the mediterranean though, including the westernmost middle east. In the Greek isles his type was common.
    I guess my point was that he can look non European as well. Definitely not just a face seen only in Europe. He looks more Levantine than Euro to me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Genuine Interest For This Useful Post:

dbbrainer (Yesterday)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    Phenotype
    Atlanto Med
    Politics
    Liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Puerto Rico Spain Basque Galicia United States

Puerto Rican vlogger who talks about indie music, rock, pop culture and is an Independentista.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Camilo For This Useful Post:

dbbrainer (Yesterday)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    Phenotype
    Atlanto Med
    Politics
    Liberal
    Religion
    Atheist