User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any serious disease/disorder threats on 23andme/Decodeme?3298 days old

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

Default Anyone have any serious disease/disorder threats on 23andme/Decodeme?

I was looking at the health stuff on Decodeme and I saw something on both mine and my father's profiles that kind of freaked out

I have a pretty high risk on 23andme too, but the decodeme one makes it seem inevitable

(from my dad's profile, but mine says the same thing)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	age.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	12231  
    angelkaaga says:
    *i wish i know about dna crap
    angelkaaga says:
    *i bet i am R1b

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatale_noir For This Useful Post:

EliasAlucard (2010-07-05), Power77 (2018-04-08)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Senior Moderator
    Plant of Life = Biological Magic 麻 EliasAlucard's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    J1a2a1a2-P58+
    mtDNA
    H5a
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Alpinid
    Metaethnos
    proto-Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Assyrian/Armenian
    Politics
    Environment, Cannabis
    Religion
    Secular Agnostic
    Assyria Assyria 1913-1923 Armenia Lebanon Sweden Greece

I got a substantially decreased risk for Age-related Macular Degeneration. Overall, genetically, I seem very healthy (both mentally and physically). The only thing that sort of worries me is my increased risk for diabetes, and I will most likely develop type 2 diabetes since both my father and my maternal grandmother have type 2 diabetes. Other than that, I have an increased risk for prostata cancer but no one in my family has as far as I know, had prostata cancer.

As for carrier status, I am "variant absent" on all of it, so no tay-sachs, sickle cell or anything like that for me.

I sent you an extended invite, by the way. Knock yourself out at my awesome genes

Edit:

By the way, ethioboy is like, the healthiest dude I'm sharing with.

Edit 2:

Oh wait, there's an Iranian I'm sharing with who's even healthier than ethioboy.
    Last edited by EliasAlucard; 2010-07-05 at 01:25.
    ReactOS <--- support this project so that we can get rid of Windows!
    Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 LTS | PRISM-Break! | Windows7sins

“A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows public opinion.” ― Chinese proverb

“Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.” ― H. L. Mencken

“The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.” ― Socrates

“Damnant quod non intelligunt.” ― Latin proverb

Quoted for truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaron View Post
    Anatolian Urhemait supporters are mostly butthurt Meds.
    For the lulz:
    Quote Originally Posted by drgs View Post
    Poland is a misunderstanding. It is a country which lies on the frontier between western and slavic world, and which combines elements of both.
    In fact, they are not even the Europeans in strict sense, meaning European as in bearing the responsibility and understanding of European interests. Poland has always been an subordinate country, on one side sucking German dick, on the other side -- Russian one, some kind of "novice" europeans, who are full of inferiority complexes, hysteria and obsessity neuroses. This is also true for all Baltic countries

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EliasAlucard For This Useful Post:

fatale_noir (2010-07-05), Power77 (2018-04-08)

Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2011-12-27 @ 01:48

I'm a carrier of mild Haemochromatosis and have an increased risk of getting Type 1 Diabetes. Aside from that, everything else (obesity risk, gout etc.) can be easily controlled by diet and other lifestyle considerations. That, or they simply pale in comparison to Alzheimer's or Atrial Fibrillation.

Don't worry too much about the Health Trait results on 23andMe/DeCODEme. Bear in mind that these studies look at only a couple of SNP's at best and many of our results are contradictory. For instance, I am supposed to be below average height, yet surpass the averages of most European countries.

A handful of SNP's cannot (and do not) regulate both human variation and genetic diseases.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Humata For This Useful Post:

EliasAlucard (2010-07-05), fatale_noir (2010-07-05), Power77 (2018-04-08)

QBQ Banned
    Last Online
    2010-07-14 @ 01:51
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Cromagnid
    Metaethnos
    Slavic Galicia Polska
    Ethnicity
    Polish Catholic
    Phenotype
    Cro Magnon man
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    PolishSlav Nationalist
    Poland Poland Volhynia United States Serbia coat of arms Slovakia

Quote Originally Posted by EliasAlucard View Post
    I got a substantially decreased risk for Age-related Macular Degeneration. Overall, genetically, I seem very healthy (both mentally and physically). The only thing that sort of worries me is my increased risk for diabetes, and I will most likely develop type 2 diabetes since both my father and my maternal grandmother have type 2 diabetes. Other than that, I have an increased risk for prostata cancer but no one in my family has as far as I know, had prostata cancer.

As for carrier status, I am "variant absent" on all of it, so no tay-sachs, sickle cell or anything like that for me.

I sent you an extended invite, by the way. Knock yourself out at my awesome genes

Edit:

By the way, ethioboy is like, the healthiest dude I'm sharing with.

It seems that Type 2 Diabeties is often a Dominant trait. It seems like once it goes in the genes you are most likely to get Diabeties.

It seems to me that people with Type 2 Diabeties might have some kind of Advantage in Earlier periods of life.

As we as humans were not setup to live to be past 50 years old in the wild.
    So things like Type 2 Diabeties & Prostate, Breast Cancer (Which also seem to be often dominant traits) seem to be a result of us living longer.
    My guess is maybe people with Type 2 Diabeties might have higher Energy levels in younger periods of life.

Prostate Cancer is a good example of this. As people with Higher Testosterone levels generally get more Prostate Cancer.
    Before we started living longer people with Higher Testosterone / DHT levels are more likely had an advantage. The side effects did not come about back then because people did not live long enough.
    Last edited by PolskiMoc; 2010-07-05 at 01:29.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PolskiMoc For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-08)

Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2011-12-27 @ 01:48

Quote Originally Posted by PolskiMoc View Post
    It seems that Type 2 Diabeties is often a Dominant trait. It seems like once it goes in the genes you are most likely to get Diabeties.

It seems to me that people with Type 2 Diabeties might have some kind of Advantage in Earlier periods of life.
    Familial experience goes against that connection, as my mother's side has a Type 2 Diabetes problem, yet I am less likely to develop it.

I've taken numerous blood tests over the past few years and seem to be very healthy. Despite binging on fast food recently, a recent blood test found my High-density lipoprotein (HDL, "good fats") was in the higher part of the normal range and Low-density (LDL, "bad fats") was lower. My endocrinologist remarked how "lucky" I was to have such a naturally-attuned balance of lipoproteins. Certainly lowers my risk of acquiring cardiovascular diseases, which also run in my paternal side.
    Last edited by Humata; 2010-07-05 at 01:35.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Humata For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-08)

QBQ Banned
    Last Online
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Cromagnid
    Metaethnos
    Slavic Galicia Polska
    Ethnicity
    Polish Catholic
    Phenotype
    Cro Magnon man
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    PolishSlav Nationalist

Quote Originally Posted by Humata View Post
    Familial experience goes against that connection, as my mother's side has a Type 2 Diabetes problem, yet I am less likely to develop it.

I've taken numerous blood tests over the past few years and seem to be very healthy. Despite binging on fast food recently, a recent blood test found my High-density lipoprotein (HDL, "good fats") was in the higher part of the normal range and Low-density (LDL, "bad fats") was lower. My endocrinologist remarked how "lucky" I was to have such a naturally-attuned balance of lipoproteins. Certainly lowers my risk of acquiring cardiovascular diseases, which also run in my paternal side.
    The development of type 2 diabetes is strongly influenced by genetic factors [1,2]. Recently, genes responsible for several rare forms of autosomal-dominant early-onset type 2 diabetes, also known as maturity-onset diabetes of the young (MODY), have been identified [3,4]. Although mutations in these genes are infrequent, their identification revealed new pathways involved in insulin secretion

Probably not all Type 2 Diabeties is Dominant. Also your mother may have only had 1 gene for Type 2 Diabeties.
    So, She likely did not pass on that 1 side to you.

People who get type 2 diabeties could get it from a trait that is of a superior trait in youth.

Such as Higher levels of Growth hormone & Adrenaline levels have been show to Increase Blood sugar levels & potentially increase Type 2 Diabeties risks.

Higher levels of Growth Hormone & Adrenaline levels in the wild would have likely been advantageous.
    But, Now that we live longer we have bad side effects of Possible Type 2 Diabeties.

Also Insulin is the most Anabolic hormone. When Insulin levels spike generally Testosterone levels spike.

Such si a problem with Polycystic Ovarian syndrome where Females get Cysts due to Too high Testosterone often caused from spiked Insulin levels from Insulin resistance.

Although this might be bad in Females in (Extreme cases)

With Males it is possible to have been advantageous.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PolskiMoc For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-08)

QBQ Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2010-12-25 @ 12:54
    West Eurasian
    Phenotype
    Cromagnid

Gosh, is this confessions time?

No, when I was at 23andMe, I did not get anything unexpected. Nothing that lifestyle changes couldn't reduce or eliminate.

I will give you an example: I had Basal Cell Carcinoma about 10 years ago, on my nose, lol. I had it cut out. Not my nose, the cancer. I wouldn't have bothered except at the time I was giving a lot of presentations, doing lecturing, practical classes in Microbiology, and this cancer would flare up at times and just start bleeding for no reason. It doesn't look good for one's image to have wads of tissues on one's nose or sticking plaster when demostrating aseptic techniques or showing students how to pour molten agar into a Petri Dish without contaminating the agar or worse, burning yourself.

Short story is I have a high risk of Basal Cell Carcinoma. deCODEme says my risk is 64.1% compared to an average of 35%. deCODEme claims I have a higher risk of T2D but I think the likelihood of getting diabetes is low due to my lifestyle.

I am not a carrier for anything nasty, just my personality, lol.

I downloaded my raw data to Promethease and the report is quite interesting and it lists lots of nasty disease potentials but at really low risk. Some of their claims are wrong e.g they say I can't smell the metabolite of asparagus in urine, whereas 23andMe says I can. I can by the way. My ARMD is 0.7% compared with average of 8.0%, deCODEme.

Nothing is inevitable, lifestyle does impinge on health outcomes. Even the main SNP for eye color is 80% ish accurate, and it can't tell you how blue or brown your eyes will be, or whether you have freckling or other colors in the iris. It is just a statistical association.
    Last edited by Graeme; 2010-07-05 at 01:44.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Graeme For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-08)

Established Member
    Last Online
    @

The only significant risk I have is for the AMD. My risk for diabetes 1 is 1.5 times higher than the average, but as far as I know diabetes don't run in my family.

I've never even heard of half the other diseases which I have an elevated risk for.

Celiac Disease
    Atopic Dermatitis
    Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
    Paget's Disease of Bone
    Stomach Cancer
    Stroke
    Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate
    Essential Tremor
    Gout
    Neural Tube Defects

It also says I have a decreased risk for breast cancer, which I guess is good, but breast cancer runs in my family, so I'm not really sure how accurate that is.
    Last edited by fatale_noir; 2010-07-05 at 02:14.
    angelkaaga says:
    *i wish i know about dna crap
    angelkaaga says:
    *i bet i am R1b

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fatale_noir For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-08)

QBQ Banned
    Last Online
    Race
    Caucasian
    Phenotype
    Cromagnid
    Metaethnos
    Slavic Galicia Polska
    Ethnicity
    Polish Catholic
    Phenotype
    Cro Magnon man
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    PolishSlav Nationalist

Quote Originally Posted by fatale_noir View Post
    The only significant risk I have is for the AMD. My risk for diabetes 1 is 1.5 times higher than the average, but as far as I know diabetes don't run in my family.

I've never even heard of half the other diseases which I have an elevated risk for.

Celiac Disease
    Atopic Dermatitis
    Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
    Paget's Disease of Bone
    Stomach Cancer
    Stroke
    Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate
    Essential Tremor
    Gout
    Neural Tube Defects

It also says I have a decreased risk for breast cancer, which I guess is good, but breast cancer runs in my family, so I'm not really sure how accurate that is.
    some of those diseases maybe related to Celiac disease which is an insensitivity to Wheat or rather the Gluten in wheat.

Celiac disease seems to elevate risks of Lymphocytic ccancers.
    Some diseases in the bone such as that of Arthritus.
    I am not sure about Pagets disease of the bone.

If I were you I would significantly cut down Wheat consumption or find Wheat & or products that are gluten free.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PolskiMoc For This Useful Post:

fatale_noir (2010-07-05), Power77 (2018-04-08)

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2013-01-21 @ 14:40
    Nordic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by fatale_noir View Post
    I was looking at the health stuff on Decodeme and I saw something on both mine and my father's profiles that kind of freaked out

I have a pretty high risk on 23andme too, but the decodeme one makes it seem inevitable

(from my dad's profile, but mine says the same thing)

My Age-related Macular Degeneration risk is 30.6% on 23andMe and 30.5% on DeCODEme

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pallantides For This Useful Post:

Power77 (2018-04-08)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast