Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Puerto Rico DNA3365 days old

Established Member
    Usuario
    Last Online
    @
    Default Puerto Rico DNA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Puerto_Rico#Genetic_studies
    Results of DNA studies done by Professor Juan Carlos Martinez Cruzado of the Puerto Rico University of Mayaguez, showing the predominance of taino DNA in MTDNA and Euro DNA in Y-DNA, African DNA being in the middle.I also took a MTDNA test with him, results coming at end of month.
    A recent study of Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) from 800 individuals found that patrilineal input, as indicated by the Y chromosome, showed over 70% of Puerto Ricans could trace their ancestry to male European ancestors, 20% could trace it to male African ancestors, and less than 10% could trace it to male Native American ancestors.
    As for maternal DNA, 61.1% of those sampled were found as having Amerindian maternal mtDNA. This means that if you could trace back in time from daughter to mother, you would eventually reach women who lived in Puerto Rico in Pre-Columbian time. The rest divides between 26.4% with female African ancestors and 12.5% with female European ancestors.
    Both of these findings are consistent with the popular belief from historical record that male European immigrants took for themselves wives from among the native Indian and, later, black slave populations.
    Dr. Juan Martinez Cruzado, a geneticist from the University of Puerto Rico Mayagüez who participated in the design of the mDNA study, said accounts of life on Puerto Rico in the 1600 and 1700s "describe many aspects that are totally derived from Taino modus vivendi, not just the hammocks but the way they fished, their methods of farming, etc....It is clear that the influence of Taino culture was very strong up to about 200 years ago. If we could conduct this same study on the Puerto Ricans from those times, the figure would show that 80 percent of the people had Indian heritage."

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2010-08-27 @ 21:25
    Chile Croatia Chile Mapuche

I've always believed Puerto Ricans are Mestizos with a slight negroid touch. I don't mean nuyoricans or some negroid reggaeton singers. Those are the responsible the average Chilean sees a Puerto Rican as a extreme negro like a Haitian. I know this isn't true.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Orifist For This Useful Post:

wompwompwomp (2012-03-21)

QBQ Banned
    Last Online
    2014-05-10 @ 20:45
    Chilean
    Phenotype
    Saddam Husseinic
    Politics
    Humanistic
    Religion
    Free market genetics
    Chile Chile Mapuche Spain traditional Amazigh Hispanidad

Yes, Puerto Rico is a mestizo country. No wonder figures like Chayanne have that looks.

Established Member
    sianara
    Last Online
    2011-12-01 @ 09:13
    American
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Orifist View Post
    I've always believed Puerto Ricans are Mestizos with a slight negroid touch. I don't mean nuyoricans or some negroid reggaeton singers. Those are the responsible the average Chilean sees a Puerto Rican as a extreme negro like a Haitian. I know this isn't true.
    The most recent autosomal study (Bryc et al) has shown more than a "negroid touch" imo. Interestingly, the Native and African component in Puerto Ricans is quite close, and maybe even with a slight African dominance, between the two. Both, of course, less than the predominant European component.

3.We
    observed clustering largely by Native American, African, and
    European ancestry, with the Hispanic/Latino populations showing
    genetic similarity with all of these populations. However, significant
    population differences exist, with the Dominicans and
    Puerto Ricans showing the highest levels of African ancestry
    (41.8% and 23.6% African, SDs16%and 12%), whereas Mexicans
    and Ecuadorians show the lowest levels of African ancestry (5.6%
    and 7.3% African, SDs 2% and 5%) and the highest Native
    American ancestries (50.1% and 38.8% Native American, SDs
    13% and 10%).
    Notice in the PCA pictured below, the tilt toward Africa, however there seems to be variability in African admixture more-so than Native admix. The box plot shows a higher average proportion of African admixture than Native admix, though a greater range.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	latino box.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	12691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	latino frappe.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	12692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	latino pca.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	12693  

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grasshoppa For This Useful Post:

CAONABO (2010-07-08), EiCibaeño (2010-07-08), jibarodepr (2010-07-07), Malcolm Z (2010-07-07), pgbk87 (2011-05-14)

Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2010-12-19 @ 11:25
    E1b1a8a
    mtDNA
    L2b1
    Race
    Sub-Saharan African
    Phenotype
    Sudanid
    Metaethnos
    Homo sapiens invictus
    Ethnicity
    African American
    Politics
    Nietzschean
    Religion
    Whatever is practical
    United States Switzerland United Nations

That just means the native admixture was much earlier...had more time to even out in the population...the African came later and likely was not evenly spread across the island, but in certain agricultural areas.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JackKnightstick For This Useful Post:

Grasshoppa (2010-07-07), jibarodepr (2010-07-08), Orifist (2010-07-07), pgbk87 (2011-05-14)

QBQ Banned
    Last Online
    2014-05-10 @ 20:45
    Chilean
    Phenotype
    Saddam Husseinic
    Politics
    Humanistic
    Religion
    Free market genetics
    Chile Chile Mapuche Spain traditional Amazigh Hispanidad

Quote Originally Posted by JackKnightstick View Post
    That just means the native admixture was much earlier...had more time to even out in the population...the African came later and likely was not evenly spread across the island, but in certain agricultural areas.
    True. The admixture in the Caribbean happened very early. By the time of the Conquest of Mexico (1541) the population of the Spanish islands were already mestizo. We must considered that was 50 years after the arrival of the Spanish to the Caribbean. Slavery of Africans started in mass only after Las Casas trial around 1540!

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    E1b1b1b2a
    mtDNA
    L3b1a
    Metaethnos
    Rican
    Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Phenotype
    Dinarized Alpine/Berid
    Religion
    christ follower
    United States

this isnt really anything new.. the majority of puerto ricans are tri racial although more related to the spanish than to the africans or indians. my family is exactly like this they look mostly spanish but people who really know about admixture and phenotypes know that they dont look complelty white. my mom kind of has a broad nose and my uncle has amerindian eyes. .kinda slanted. i think its kind of the same for mexicans in california and texas.. they are mestizos but they have more spanish ancestry than indian.

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2016-04-01 @ 20:40
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U4b1b
    Race
    Europoid
    Phenotype
    Mediterranid
    Metaethnos
    European-American
    Ethnicity
    Mid-Atlantic American
    Phenotype
    Mediterranoid
    Politics
    American isolationism
    Religion
    Agnostic athiest
    United States

Here is a post I made of the 23andme results with the Puerto Ricans I share with. A2 seems to be the most common mtDNA from what I've seen, then C, then L1, then U5 and H. The most common YDNA is overwhelmingly R1b.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan For This Useful Post:

jibarodepr (2010-07-07)

Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2010-12-19 @ 11:25
    E1b1a8a
    mtDNA
    L2b1
    Race
    Sub-Saharan African
    Phenotype
    Sudanid
    Metaethnos
    Homo sapiens invictus
    Ethnicity
    African American
    Politics
    Nietzschean
    Religion
    Whatever is practical
    United States Switzerland United Nations

The Puerto Ricans I grew up around looked like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toG5eOlFVIk

:-) Most (not all) looked like what we called "light skinned" blacks and act more ghetto than most of the blacks I knew. LOL

I did know one PR girl who had green eyes and light brown hair, and everyone thought she was Italian...she would QUICKLY CORRECT THEM she was Boricua...her boyfriend was African American...

WHat I saw was the PR's were like an inbetween group, they got on with the whites (mostly Italians) and the blacks both...whereas the blacks and Italians didn't tend to get along... Anyway this has nothing to do with genetics other than phenotypes you can see in the video.
    Last edited by JackKnightstick; 2010-07-08 at 15:29.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    E1b1b1b2a
    mtDNA
    L3b1a
    Metaethnos
    Rican
    Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Phenotype
    Dinarized Alpine/Berid
    Religion
    christ follower
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by JackKnightstick View Post
    The Puerto Ricans I grew up around looked like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toG5eOlFVIk

:-) Most (not all) looked like what we called "light skinned" blacks and act more ghetto than most of the blacks I knew. LOL

I did know one PR girl who had green eyes and light brown hair, and everyone thought she was Italian...she would QUICKLY CORRECT THEM she was Boricua...her boyfriend was African American...

WHat I saw was the PR's were like an inbetween group, they got on with the whites (mostly Italians) and the blacks both...whereas the blacks and Italians didn't tend to get along... Anyway this has nothing to do with genetics other than phenotypes you can see in the video.

im assuming you grew up in new york or new jersey.. its not suprising that most of the puerto ricans over there do act ghetto but its definatelty not a full representation of puerto ricans everywhere else in the world. i find it hard to connect with puerto ricans over there because they do not follow their own culture at all and many of them have never been to puerto rico in thier life. ive been to new york everyone there mistaked me for being italian or greek and i told them i was half puerto rican and many of them were shocked because i didnt act ghetto or anything but most of the puerto ricans that are from the island or places like miami dont tell me this because they all know we look and act different.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to windmill For This Useful Post:

jibarodepr (2010-07-08)

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast