User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: My own Stereotypical observation of Somali clans3281 days old

Last Online
    2012-11-09 @ 16:14

Quote Originally Posted by Ezana View Post
    True, but being "Ethiopian" isn't so new. There's long been a concept, but it was intricately tied to being Christian until the modern (19th c.) period.

Being Ethiopian is a new concept. Before Ethiopia existed, Abyssinia was confined to regions such as Amhara and Tigray region. Most regions such as Oromo/Afar/Somali/Harar regions identified themselves based on their ethnicity and religion, before the expansion of Christian Ethiopia. Even today, people in Ethiopia label each other by ethnicity more than ever.

Ethiopian sense is very strong in Christian community not the Muslim one. Half of Ethiopia is Muslim, so Ethiopia is a relative new concept in itself.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Nomad For This Useful Post:

Awale (2015-03-22), Bandar Qasim (2010-09-11)

3. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    E1b1b1*
    mtDNA
    L3h2
    Metaethnos
    Ethiopian
    Ethnicity
    Awareian
    Ethiopia African Union(OAS) United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by The Nomad View Post
    Being Ethiopian is a new concept. Before Ethiopia existed, Abyssinia was confined to regions such as Amhara and Tigray region. Most regions such as Oromo/Afar/Somali/Harar regions identified themselves based on their ethnicity and religion, before the expansion of Christian Ethiopia. Even today, people in Ethiopia label each other by ethnicity more than ever.

Ethiopian sense is very strong in Christian community not the Muslim one. Half of Ethiopia is Muslim, so Ethiopia is a relative new concept in itself.
    They were periphery Ethiopians long before the Expansion/re-incorporation ('Ager Maknat' in Amharic) lead by Emperor Menelik, most of those territories included in modern day Ethiopia were already paying tribute to the Ethiopian emperor, this included the sultans of Adal.
    Last edited by Aware_Dog; 2010-09-11 at 21:31.

Last Online
    2010-09-19 @ 23:26

According to the CIA map of somali clans the order is as follow:

hawiyeh: 25%

isaaq 22%

darood 20%

the basis of this study is satellite image that reflect density population of regions inhabited by clans. Darood live on a large empty lands while isaaq live in a smaller region which over crowded. the same analogy could be used when comparing canada and china.

Email Inactive Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2012-07-13 @ 14:03
    Djiboutian
    Ethnicity
    ♢ ♤ ♡ ♧
    Politics
    centre
    Djibouti Djibouti Djibouti Djibouti Djibouti

i was browsing some threads and i found this extremely hilarious
    but i do agree with some of the points.

Last Online
    2012-01-19 @ 05:09
    Metaethnos
    Maryoley
    Religion
    Islam
    South Africa

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by slick willy View Post
    These are the real stereotypes of various Somali clans

1) Daarood:

Very large and diverse confederation of sub-clans. Most important being the Harti confederation, with the Majerteen being the most important sub-clan within the Harti.

The Majerteen (MJ)are known as having delusions of grandeur and superiority complexes...as if they are the rightful rulers of all of Somalia. Their delusions know no bounds, which is why they meddle in Mogadishu and southern affairs when the majority of them live in Puntland. They seem to be overachievers, and try to max out whatever they do...if they are religious, they are radical Al Qaeda types...when they arent religious, they go the other extreme like the cunt Ayaan Xirsi Ali, and the supermodel who married the fag David Bowie. They like to manipulate the other Harti sub clans, like the Dhulbahanta and Warsangeli

Dhulbahanta/Warsangeli...pawns of the Majerteen who exploit their Harti brethren, except the ones who are pawns of Somaliland. Somaliland so far Pro-Somaliland camp’s political and military visibility is based on the support it gets from Somaliland. The people in areas under Somaliland coexist peacefully. Pro-Somaliland Dhulbahanta/Warsangeli forces are more disciplined than Puntland forces so far. People complain about the system not those they indentify as locals working with Somaliland if things go wrong.

Historically, the Dhulbahanta were known for their military prowess (the majority of the Mad Mullah's forces were from the Dhulbahanta and Ogaden), and zeal, aswell as the civilized Warsangeli Sultanates in the Northeast of Somalia.

The Ogaden Poor (even by Somali stnadards), backward, super-religous and pious (alot of religous scholars were/are Ogaden) and very 'country'. This is what happens to a people oppressed by a very corrupt and anti-Somali Ethiopian regime. The Ogaden have suffered so much under the Ethiopian yoke, yet have maintained their dignity and identity very well. They are quite numerous.

The Mareexaan... These people are from the depths of southern Somalia/Kenya, and are completely alien to mainstream Somali. Siad Barre was a Mareexaan, and his 2 decade dictatorship completely nepotized Mareexans, so that you'd here about former truck drivers and camel herders becoming ambassadors and foreign diplomats. They are quite backward, even by Somali standards and very nomadic.

2) Isaaq

Historically the most liberal and open minded of Somalis. The orphans of the Queen, as they like to say...the British immediately identified the Isaaq as the most reasonable Somalis to do treaties with, and the relative calm and prosperity in the secessionist self declared repucblic of Somaliland is proof of this. Isaaqs are well known for their business acumen and cunning, as well as their poetic/literary/artistic skills. The best Somali artists were Isaaq. If there is one bad stereotype that the Isaaq have is that they are known as khat addicted. Most Somalis are envious or hateful of the Isaaq and have tried to sabotage Somaliland's aspirations solely out of tribalist sentiment

3) The Dir

The Issa...the Issa of Djibouti are backward, poor, and few in numbers. Little Issa live outside Djibouti, most share more in common to their Afar neighbours than other Somalis. They were historically known to be fierce warriors, and had the tendency to file their teeth to sharp points to give them intimidating looks. They tend to be very black skinned due to living in one of the hottest places on Earth

The Gadabursi ... small inconsquential clan that are the pawn of Somaliland. They dont like Isaaq, but are willing to be under their protection, since the alternatives are worse. The former president of Somaliland, Riyaale, was Gadabursi.

...will continue soon
    ^^ Narrow-minded, and typical Faarax.

Last Online
    2012-07-12 @ 23:53
    Sub-Saharan African
    Somalia Djibouti United Kingdom Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Aware_Dog View Post
    They were periphery Ethiopians long before the Expansion/re-incorporation ('Ager Maknat' in Amharic) lead by Emperor Menelik, most of those territories included in modern day Ethiopia were already paying tribute to the Ethiopian emperor, this included the sultans of Adal.
    There is no such thing as a "periphery Ethiopian". Just because two entities neighbour eachother does not make one a periphery version of the other. As for Adal, the Abyssinnia state and the Adal state would not have been in war for hundreds of years if Somali states were ""periphery Ethiopians". Indeed before the great Oromo migration Oromos were independent, seperate and distinct from Abyssinia. Abyssinia existed but Ethiopianism is a recent theoretical construct whose borders are a legacy of colonialism.

I still can't believe you claimed that Adal was "periphery Ethiopian" when it was an entity that was at war with Abyssinia and defeated them too, untill the Portuguese helped them. Read up on Ahmed Guray

The Ethiopian Emperor Menelik's Somali expedition, consisting of an army of 11,000 men, made a deep push into the vicinity of Luuq in Somalia. However, his troops were soundly defeated by the Gobroon army, with only 200 soldiers returning alive. The Ethiopians subsequently refrained from further expeditions into the interior of Somalia

QBS Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2014-08-31 @ 15:29
    E1b1b1
    mtDNA
    L3i2
    Phenotype
    Aethiopid
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Politics
    Centrist Progressivism
    Religion
    Islam
    Somalia Djibouti

Stupid retarded thread and absolutely FALSE. Disgusting to read such thread. Also I'am ashamed these Somalis are discussing internal Somali affairs on such global forum in which random foreigners can read. I hope the MODS delete this thread seriously.

A Somali is a Somali regardless of his/her clan. And no clan is better than the other clan. All Somalis act the bloody the same and all have the same characteristics and stereotypes. If I only I was a member at this period of time, I would had smacked some sense to these ex-Somali members.

I can see it was a Eritrean that created this stupid thread. Dumb Eritreans.
    Last edited by Ajuran; 2014-07-15 at 02:02.

Established Member
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    E-V32
    mtDNA
    N1a
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Somalia Ethiopia Eritrea Djibouti

Quote Originally Posted by Ajuran View Post
    Stupid retarded thread and absolutely FALSE. Disgusting to read such thread. Also I'am ashamed these Somalis are discussing internal Somali affairs on such global forum in which random foreigners can read. I hope the MODS delete this thread seriously.

A Somali is a Somali regardless of his/her clan. And no clan is better than the other clan. All Somalis act the bloody the same and all have the same characteristics and stereotypes. If I only I was a member at this period of time, I would had smacked some sense to these ex-Somali members.

I can see it was a Eritrean that created this stupid thread. Dumb Eritreans.
    All Eritreans are dumb now because of the wisecrack who started this thread?

It is a but of a funny and foolish thread, it's hilarious that Slick speaks so highly of his own clan and somewhat undermines the others xD. If I had to get all clanist and stereo type the Isaaq, I'd honestly say they are the most discriminative, close minded and self-hating group I've encountered. But you're right, like Bandar stated; Somalis are Somalis, we're an inbred group among Horners and pretty damn genetically homogenous, pointless to think our clans make a difference. Also to be fair I have met plenty of people of all the other clans who act like the Isaaq members I described...

It is a bit annoying that they're undermining one another's clans for random foreigners to see, it would bother me if some random onlooker just flat out believed everything slick was bullshitting about for example but lol; I got a damn good laugh when he said he was an Isaaq after he'd gone and on about how cultured and epic they are.

QBS Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2014-08-31 @ 15:29
    E1b1b1
    mtDNA
    L3i2
    Phenotype
    Aethiopid
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Politics
    Centrist Progressivism
    Religion
    Islam
    Somalia Djibouti

Quote Originally Posted by Awale View Post
    All Eritreans are dumb now because of the wisecrack who started this thread?
    It was the spur of the moment. But that particular Eritrean member has some grudge on Somalis. You should read all his threads he dedicates for us. I have never seen such Eritreans. It is usually the Ethiopians that we insult each other. But we and the Eritreans are always allies. If it wasn't for Somalia, Eritrea wouldn't be existing today. Afwerki and all Eritrean rebel leaders fighting against Ethiopia studied and lived in Somalia. They were funded but also supported by us.

It is a but of a funny and foolish thread, it's hilarious that Slick speaks so highly of his own clan and somewhat undermines the others xD. If I had to get all clanist and stereo type the Isaaq, I'd honestly say they are the most discriminative, close minded and self-hating group I've encountered.
    Isaaq's are the black-sheep of Somalia. They have isolated themselves with this Somaliland shit. Can't belief that there is even a Somaliland flag on this forum. Probably the Isaaq members complained. That slick member has ZERO knowledge about Somalia. All his historic accounts of Somalia is very limited. He even says that there are less than 5,000 Bantus in Somalia when their number is reaching the million. His ignorance hilarious.

But you're right, like Bandar stated; Somalis are Somalis, we're an inbred group among Horners and pretty damn genetically homogenous, pointless to think our clans make a difference. Also to be fair I have met plenty of people of all the other clans who act like the Isaaq members I described...
    Yh Bandar is the one of the wise members. We are inbreds indeed and act nearly the same regardless of clan or regions we come from.

It is a bit annoying that they're undermining one another's clans for random foreigners to see, it would bother me if some random onlooker just flat out believed everything slick was bullshitting about for example but lol; I got a damn good laugh when he said he was an Isaaq after he'd gone and on about how cultured and epic they are.
    I agree, they should keep internal affairs to themselves. And yeah I guess he throwing some bravado's.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ajuran For This Useful Post:

Awale (2014-07-15)

QBS Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    @
    V32 (East Cushite)
    mtDNA
    L0a1* (Nigga blood)
    Phenotype
    Aethiopid
    Metaethnos
    Cushite
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Politics
    Anti-Bantu
    Religion
    Greater Somalia
    Somaliland Djibouti Canada Yemen Arab League

Quote Originally Posted by elal View Post
    According to the CIA map of somali clans the order is as follow:

hawiyeh: 25%

isaaq 22%

darood 20%

the basis of this study is satellite image that reflect density population of regions inhabited by clans. Darood live on a large empty lands while isaaq live in a smaller region which over crowded. the same analogy could be used when comparing canada and china.
    That is actually true.Isaaq and Hawiye have large pops in small areas while Daroods live on desert lands that are vast!
    As for qabyaalad I see my self and other clans with in Somaliland as brothers.Whether you are Dhulo,Samarone,Habar Yonis,Warsengali or Habar Awal.We are one nation now and need to develop our country!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4