Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    R-DF99
    mtDNA
    H3ap

Default FTDNA Family Finder

http://www.familytreedna.com/landing/family-finder.aspx

Just checked my FTDNA home page, looks like they're working on a family finder which compares your DNA to their family finder database to help find cousins and such.

Family Finder Projects, will allow for the analysis and comparisons between you and all members of your project. Compare all at once with the Family Finder “Viewer” and other genetic analytical tools.

The new Family Finder test and project tools also integrate with your existing Family Tree DNA project to take it to the “next level”.

Surname projects can use Family Finder to better define branches in a family tree. By using Family Finder testing, close Y-chromosome and mtDNA matches without traditional records may be assigned to a pedigree with greater confidence. Even more exciting, surname projects may now bring female cousins into the project as additional evidence.

Regional projects can discover real relationships. You will be able to explore the lost family connections that are hidden behind migrations. New clues will open avenues for additional traditional paper trail research. Those with close or perfect Y-chromosome and mtDNA matches can now untangle their relationships.
    With the power of an autosomal DNA test, confidently match to male and female cousins from any of your family lines. This can provide you with the clues you need to learn more about your birth parents' families.

The possibilities abound!

* Discover Parents, Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles.
    * Find Half Siblings
    * Make contact with 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cousins.

When you take the Family Finder test, your results are compared against our Family Finder database. Your list of matches is designed to be quickly sorted to allow you to focus on your near or distant cousins. Email addresses are provided for easy communication with your matches. When new matches are found, we will notify you by email. Your raw data is freely available for download.
    With our autosomal Family Finder test you may extend the power of genetic genealogy to all of your ancestors. Using a test of your own DNA, you can discover connections to descendants of all sixteen of your great-great-grandparents! The Family Finder test will not only open avenues for traditional research but will help you discover the hidden connections that could explain your family’s migrations.

We place you in control. When you take the Family Finder test, your results are compared against our Family Finder database. Your list of matches is designed to be quickly sorted to allow you to focus on your near or distant cousins. Because email addresses are provided for easy communication with your near or distant cousins you will be able to share research easily. We notify you by email when you have new matches. Your raw data file is freely available for download.
    I like what is described in the bold face, it would be quite convenient to be able to have direct contact with project members, but for myself it won't be of much use considering only a fraction of my cousins are FTDNA users and I already have my genealogy composed. It would be quite useful for others though who are interested in contacting those long lost cousins and such.

One thing I do like is this could lead to more security when sharing GEDCOM's and such, with things like Ancestry.com your files, if made public, can be downloaded and viewed by anyone, this Family Finder thing could help in making sure only your genetic kin receive genealogical information pertaining to yourself and relatives.

The whole spiel about the migrations and such is a bit over hyped as you really don't need a DNA test to observe current/recent migrations, just use common sense.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement bot

Established Member
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2010-09-09 @ 01:39

OOOOLLLLLLDDD news....

Established Member
    puttin' in yer windies
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    R-DF99
    mtDNA
    H3ap

Quote Originally Posted by SilverI View Post
    OOOOLLLLLLDDD news....
    GTFO if you have nothing other than that to state. It's new news to me as I only recently received notification of it. There's no point in such childish posts. I'm beginning to doubt your value in this community.

Banned
    Molecular Biologist
    Last Online
    2012-09-28 @ 11:03
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a2
    mtDNA
    L3f1b4
    Race
    Biracial
    Phenotype
    Cromagnid
    Metaethnos
    Eurasian
    Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Phenotype
    Chinese
    Politics
    Chinese Supremacy
    Religion
    Chinese Legalism
    Brazil China Japan Philippines Australia

They advertised it in my FTDNA page as well, it sounds like an interesting idea.

By the way is anyone also having problems to enter in FTDNA right now?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Erick For This Useful Post:

cadwallon (2010-02-16)

Established Member
    puttin' in yer windies
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    R-DF99
    mtDNA
    H3ap

Quote Originally Posted by Erick View Post
    By the way is anyone also having problems to enter in FTDNA right now?
    I'm getting in alright, it may be their servers were tied up.

Established Member
    Your Friend
    Last Online
    @
    R1a-Z282
    mtDNA
    H7
    Metaethnos
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Phenotype
    Barbarian
    Religion
    Crop Circles
    Poland

It looks like a version of 23andMe's Relative Finder. Here's more info...

Questions about Family Finder

The more people do it, the more useful it'll be. So right now, 23andMe has the edge. But this looks to be a lot cheaper than 23andMe's ancestry only test, and you get to download your own raw data. But the service doesn't include access to any biogeographic ancestry interpretation tools.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Polako For This Useful Post:

cadwallon (2010-02-17), rogers (2010-02-17)

Established Member
    puttin' in yer windies
    Last Online
    @
    Y-DNA
    R-DF99
    mtDNA
    H3ap

^I am curious if FTDNA will ever hop on the biogeographic interpretation tool boat. I have a feeling though that 23andMe would offer too much competition, however FTDNA might pull out a fast one and offer a cheaper version to attract a less wealthy demographic, but with the lower cost I would fear for lower quality.

Established Member
    Your Friend
    Last Online
    @
    R1a-Z282
    mtDNA
    H7
    Metaethnos
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Phenotype
    Barbarian
    Religion
    Crop Circles
    Poland

I posted this on DNA-forums, but I'll post it here too since I'm looking for some feedback from as many people as possible...

Well, this is an interesting development indeed. I was actually thinking of starting up a service that provides a comprehensive biogeographic analysis for those with their own raw data, for a small fee. I might start planning that sooner than I thought, considering there might be a lot of people out there in a few months with zipped up genomes on their laptops and looking to get the most out of them.

But first I'd have to install Linux on one of my machines so I can run PCA analysis, and also become really good at formatting loads of data. Oh yeah, and then I should also look into the legalities of using customers' genomes as reference samples, so that I have more to offer than comparisons with the usual HapMap and HGDP individuals.

What do you guys think? Worth a try?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Polako For This Useful Post:

cadwallon (2010-02-17)

Last Online
    2010-10-07 @ 09:12
    V 16256T

Default FTDNA Family Finder

I am a customer of FTDNA (mtDNAplus, with not a single close match) and only heard about this development via such forums. There is also very little information on the FTDNA website about it. If it is available to existing customers now, it is not clear how to order it. I was asked to submit my email address if I wanted to be informed when it was available, which I did.

Anyway, I have recently ordered autosomal analysis from dnatribes and I am awaiting my results. When I get them, I would like to add them to the FTDNA Family Finder database but not for $250. I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way (if they even know about it).

As a female without any willing YDNA donors in my family I am very pleased that I will hopefully be able to learn more about the rest of my ancestors' geographical origins and not only those of my direct maternal line.

I think it is great that there are such new developments but I would like to see more data sharing as it is only through large numbers that we will see really useful results.
    Last edited by Helen; 2010-02-18 at 18:09.

Established Member
    Super Moderator
    Last Online
    @
    N1c1-L550
    mtDNA
    H3
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Anyway, I have recently ordered autosomal analysis from dnatribes and I am awaiting my results. When I get them, I would like to add them to the FTDNA Family Finder database but not for $250. I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way (if they even know about it).
    The DNA Tribes analysis uses STR markers, while the FTDNA Family Finder uses SNPs. They are different types of analyses, so it would not be possible for you to add your DNA Tribes analysis to the Family Finder database.

I think it is great that there are such new developments but I would like to see more data sharing as it is only through large numbers that we will see really useful results.
    I agree. It would be great if there was one public database for autosomal data where anyone could upload their results regardless of the company they tested with and that would offer a tool like Relative Finder/Family Finder. I am not sure why anyone would want to offer such a service, though. Ideally it should be free so that as many people would upload their results as possible. I am thinking of something like Y-Search or Mitosearch.

Alternatively, it would be a good idea if all of these companies (FTDNA, 23andme, and deCODEme) allowed the clients of the other companies to upload their results to their databases, maybe for a nominal fee.

There is the small problem that these companies use different chips, but I doubt it would be too big of a problem. After all, deCODEme was able to accommodate 23andme data.

---------- Post added 2010-02-18 at 21:14 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Polako View Post
    I posted this on DNA-forums, but I'll post it here too since I'm looking for some feedback from as many people as possible...
    It sounds like a good idea provided you have enough processing power on your computer. I have no idea what running such analyses would require, but I would assume quite a lot. Anyway, if you can work it out, you can use my data as a reference if that means I get a free analysis.
    Last edited by Aino; 2010-02-18 at 19:35.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Aino For This Useful Post:

Helen (2010-03-26)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast